Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bead of the Week Prompt...Cooking!



This prompt may be a bit strange. I had really intended to share a favorite recipe (which I will in a minute) from one of my favorite cookbooks (pictured above) but then I remembered how I've totally neglected my bead prompts. So lets just combine both! I told you this might be strange. Here is the prompt: cooking. How to incorporate cooking into a bead or jewelry design. Its so broad that you could really go off in many different directions with it. I'm going to keep this prompt for a few weeks since I have school starting and a show to work towards. Being that this prompt is so....odd.....I want to keep it for a while to let things brew. I'd LOVE to have someone or a few of you join me in this. I'll gladly link your blog or image so I can share what you've done too. Lets say have something by Oct. 3rd. That way you have time to create if you decide to join in!

Okay. Now for one of my favorite recipes:
Spanikopita
1. 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach. Thawed and sqeezed of excess water.
2. 2 cps feta crumbled.
3. 1 stick butter
4. 1 1/2 cps chopped onion
5. 2 cloves minced garlic
6. 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
7. 4 eggs. I use one full egg with yolk and 3 with just the egg white. of course, I've completely omitted the eggs too and nobody seemed to notice.
8. 1 thawed package of filo dough. Thawing completely is the trick of using this dough

Saute onions in about 1 tab butter along with the garlic. Add dill to the mix. Add the sauted mixture to the thawed and drained spinach, add feta and eggs. Mix well and set a side.

Melt remaining butter. Butter bottom of a 9X13 pan. Mine is glass. Add filo dough one layer at a time. Butter each layer with your melted butter and a brush. Stack 4 or 5 layers and then add 1/2 of your spinach mixture. Add 4-5 more buttered layers of filo and then add your second spinach mixture layer. Add final 4-5 filo layers and bake for 30 minutes at 375.

Its soooo goooood.

No comments: