Saturday, March 6, 2010

Etsy Blog Carnival~ March is National Nutrition Month!

Etsy Bloggers~ Blog Carnival
I'm part of the Etsy Blogger team and each month we all participate in a Carnival....a blog carnival that is. Each of us responds to a particular theme and then we talk about it on our blog. This month one of the topics was March is National Nutrition Month. Being a health nut of sorts, I was inspired by this one........BUT I'm also going to include that March is National Youth Art Month too. A topic I'm totally passionate about.




Celebrate National Nutrition Month with A Heatlthy Burger Alternative
I'm a vegetarian so I am passing to you a healthy burger alternative that is one of my favorites. My husband who is not vegetarian also loves these so I am certain that many of you will enjoy them too.
This recipe is from the Horn of the Moon cookbook. I've tried dozens of tofu burger recipes and have been mildly disappointed in most of them. This one I REALLY love. They hold together when frying and they taste great.


Tofu Burgers

1 lb extra firm tofu
1/2 cp tahini
4 tb sunflower oil (I used canola)
3/4 cp finely chopped spanish onion (I used a regular onion)
1 tb dried dill (I used chopped fresh dill)
1/2 cup finely chopped sunflower seeds ( I omitted this)
1/2 cp bread crumbs
2 tb tamari
black pepper or cayenne to taste ( I used creole seasoning)
whole wheat flour

Mash tofu and mix with tahini in med. bowl. Heat 2 tab. oil in small pan, saute onion and dill until onions are translucent. Add to tofu mixture. Add the sunflower seeds, bread crumbs, tamari, and pepper. Add more bread crumbs as needed until firm.

Form into patties and lightly coat with flour on each side. Fry in about 2 tab. of oil until brown on both sides. Serve on bun with condiments you like.



March is National Youth Art Month
Being an art teacher I wanted everyone to know that March is National Youth Art Month too! If you have a child or teen at home why not try the following to honor their creative efforts this month. These ideas are really easy, take little time and will make a great memory once your child is a young adult looking back at their childhood.


1. Create a book about their art work. Take photos of particular art pieces and upload them into a book format using any number of publishing options. I have a Mac so I can do this right on my computer but Blurb and Snapfish offer book making options too. Short writing pieces can be used with each art piece noting when it was done, title of the work and what materials they used. A fantastic idea if I do say so myself!


2. Purchase a few simple black framed 18X20 inch frames (or larger) and place them in an area that works with your home decor. Each month rotate art work that goes into these frames to honor your little or big artist. Have them create a writing piece that can also be displayed that explains what materials were used, a title they have given it, and their age. Love it!


3. Attend your childs school art shows and functions. It takes just a little time but delivers BIG impact!

No comments: