Friday, July 5, 2013

Running, Yoga and Vegan Lifestyle

Running and yoga have become my latest obsessions. Both make me feel good in different ways. Running pushes me in my endurance but is rather meditative. Yoga is stretching, balance, flexibility and very meditative! I take classes however I've recently become hooked on the Blissology dvd's that are amazing! Check out the link and explore the site.

I've been vegetarian for over 25 years and my sister very recently decided to jump on the wagon too. She has been doing more vegan recipes and then once I really thought about it, I'm considered vegan too. I don't necessarily like labels......I think people tend to flaunt them for some reason......but for those who like them, there you have it.

My sister shared one of her favorite blogs last night when we were there for the 4th. Great stuff!! Check out Food Doodle. I'm making these energy bites today.........they are awesome!

Energy Bites
makes approximately 2 dozen depending on size
  • 1/2 C nut butter(almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter or any other nut or seed butter.  Anything will work here)
  • 1/3 C honey(I believe brown rice syrup would also work.  I’m not sure of thinner sweeteners such as maple syrup and agave though as they may not hold together as well)
  • 1 C old fashioned rolled oats(you can toast for a nuttier flavor at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes)
  • 1 C shredded unsweetened coconut(you can substitute any dry ingredients for this, wheat bran or germ, oat bran, some ground flax seed(I wouldn’t recommending using an entire cup!), any kind of ground nuts or seeds.  For a cookie dough type bite try adding a few tablespoon of your favorite whole grain flour)
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt if using a natural nut butter with no added salt
  • 1-2 tsp your favorite spices or spice combinations(optional)
  • 1/2 C other addins(any kind of whole or roughly chopped nuts or seeds, dried fruit, good quality chocolate chips, etc)
In a large bowl add the nut butter, honey or other sweetener, vanilla and salt if needed.  Use less vanilla if yours is very strong or more if you really enjoy the vanilla flavor and don’t buy an alcohol based kind.  If all your ingredients are room temperature you should be able to stir to combine.  If this is difficult you can warm in the microwave for a few seconds or even place the bowl in an inch or two hot water for a few minutes to soften everything.  Once this is combined add the remaining ingredients.
In this case I used almond butter and for my addins I used equal parts sesame seeds, poppy seeds and mini chocolate chips.  Mix well.  Once it’s all combined place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  Then remove from the fridge, scoop out some dough and roll into a ball.  I find it’s much easier, and works better to squeeze the handful together to compact it and then roll it into a ball.
If yours are too sticky you can considering adding more dry ingredients into them or rolling them in something like ground nuts, coconut, etc so they aren’t as sticky.  Place the balls in an airtight container either in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy snacks.


Read more: http://fooddoodles.com/2011/06/28/one-bowl-all-natural-no-bake-energy-bites/#ixzz2YB5ORWhU

No comments: