Thursday, May 2, 2013

Downward Dog & Cobra~ Day #2




I've always loved yoga. In my youth I was very flexible and was doing yoga moves without knowing it. I'm no longer THAT flexible but I'm pretty good for a gal my age. Yoga is becoming a regular part of my week and I hope to make it a daily practice over the next few months.

I took an amazing painting class over the winter and the instructor was big into yoga. Along with painting techniques, she also included bits of her yoga practice. It was very inspiring. There is a relaxed, open feeling you get after doing an hour of yoga.....benefits your overall well being, strength and flexibility but also opens you up to creative possibilities.  I'm hooked. So much so that I'm thinking of getting my instructor certification......my husband just laughs. He tells me I do too much.

You might be thinking, "What in the world does this have to do with glass, beads or jewelry"?.....Its the calmness. The centeredness that I find useful to my creative endeavors. Be it painting or glass working yoga has relaxed me and centered my thinking. It loosens you up and makes you more ready for new ideas.....thats me anyways. I just love it.....Sadly, I'm missing my yoga class tonight due to prepping for the art show next week.....very focused on my students work and my work seems to be second fiddle for now.

3 comments:

Bobbie Pene said...

I totally get where you are coming from. I have always been active, but have only started doing yoga in the last 4 months - a recommendation from my doctor for backpain. I'm hooked and try to go to class 3-5 times a week. I have learned to switch my busy mind off and I think I have become more in touch with myself in many ways - physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. How exciting that you may do your instructors course :)

Laurie said...

Ooo, you are inspiring me. I understand it really helps people sleep as well. The one time I tried yoga (at home alone with a video, thank goodness) I fell over, flat onto my nose. Ouch! How embarrassing!

Linda said...

I think yoga is amazing......Laurie, you should give a class a try. I think once you do it for a bit you will see/feel its benefits. Yoga is subtle in the way that relatively simple moves provide the most! Bobbie, you are doing great with your practice! 3-5 times a week is impressive....I'm waiting for my summer break to get more consistent with my practice.