Saturday, December 13, 2008

Featured Artist~Mallory Hoffman


I've been a bit off track with my Featured Artist series but better late then never is my motto! Mallory Hoffman, a.ka. Rosebud101, is my December artist. Mallory has been a wonderfully kind web buddy and is a wonderful glass artist too. Pictured above is one of my many favorites from her Etsy shop....I hope you will go check out her other work too!

How long have you been making beads? I've been creating beads for about 2 1/2 years.

What inspires you? There are so many things that inspire me. Nature is a driving force in my work. Colors, oh, I love colors! Shapes are fun and interesting too. There are just so many things. Can you tell, I'm a touch ADD, or is it just a touch??

What has been the most challenging with learning your craft? Since I started to make glass beads, I have been working to make consistently good ends to my beads. I don't know why I have such a hard time with that skill, but I do.

What makes you really happy? My children are adults and live independently...every mothers dream come true, but when they come home, its is a wonderful experience to see how they have grown and changed through the years. I love interacting with them as adults! Other things that make me happy ase sales!!! I tell my dog that if we don't make a sale this week, he doesn't get any dog food:)

What really presses you buttons? That's a good question. I think that people who lie to me are the most challenging people I know. Being untruthful does really press my buttons.

Where do you hope to go with your bead/jewelry making? Like so many other people, I'd love to be able to support myselft by making and selling beads and jewelry. However, that's for another lifetime. I think my major goal, right now, is to improve my skills, interact with and meet many other bead makers and sell when I can so that I can buy more glass to melt!

Other interesting information about Mallory: I used to be a high school special education teacher. When I make an "interesting" bead..somewhat wonky of off center, I often think of the youngsters I had in school. I wonder how they are doing at this point in their lives. I love to see them become successful in that they are working and paying their bills, getting married, having children, being good parents and living full, productive lives. It's a thrill to run into them in the communithy and see them as adults.

Now, go visit Mallory!!

3 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

Terrific interview, Linda! Mallory, your beads are a joy to see, and you are such a great cheerleader for so many of us. It's nice to see you being featured yourself :) You know, it must really give you deep down joy to run into one of your students and see how they are doing. I'll bet they adore you, too!

rosebud101 said...

Thanks for the interview, Linda, and thanks, Ang, for the kind words. I'm thrilled to be featured! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mallory! Congratulations on being featured ;o)
Linda thank you for this interesting interview - I learned things about Mallory that I didn't know!