Saturday, May 15, 2010

Food for thought-Another Favorite Vegetarian Recipe

Every now and then I like to share some of my Vegetaraian favorites. People always believe vegetarian eating to be boring, difficult and lacking in protein. Thats just plain wrong. Awhile back I shared my Tofu Burger recipe then my Spanikopita and today I'm going to share a great salad. All of these are loaded with necessary protein, fiber and are low in calorie.......plus, they are simply made.  This recipe I got out of the Vegetarian Times magazine. A great subscrition that gives easy and tasty vegetarian delights!

Chickpea, Artichoke Heart and Tomato Salad with Arugula


1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas or 1 15oz. can
1/2 6oz jar water packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and sliced
1/2 cup small pear or grape tomatoes, halved and quartered
1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives, optional
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette or your favorite
2 cups baby arugula
1 oz. crumbled feta cheese


For a 1 1/2 cup serving you get: 345 calories, 13 grams protein, 15 grams total fat43 grams carbs, 13mg chol, and 12 grams fiber. Not bad for a meal that will satisfy and fill you til dinner.

1 comment:

Doreen said...

This sounds so good! I will try it. I'm always on the lookout for new (delicious)vegetarian recipes. Hope you post more :)