Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Challenge


This month I am selecting Japanese artist, Katsushika Hokusai as my inspiration. I am very interested in Japanese culture and also thought it fitting since May 5th is Childrens Day, a National holiday in Japan where families hang carp windsocks representing each child in their family.

Hokusai had a long career as an artist but he is best known for his woodblock print series titled 36 views of Mt. Fugi. Actually he did 46 views, 10 were later added after his death. Althought Mt. Fuji was a favored subject for him, Hokusai did plenty of other subjects. Google him to find out more about his amazing artist and his work.


Here are some koinobori or carp windsocks. Sometimes I teach a unit on Japanese art &  have my students make carp windsocks. They love it and I love putting them on display throughout our halls at school.

I hope you will be part of my May Challenge! Or, if your like me, you might be a challenge or two behind. Thats okay too!

Here is How to Enter:

1. Create a bead or piece of jewelry that is based on the image/theme of the month. If entering a peice of jewelry, please don't just string beads but push yourself to explore new materials, techniques and ideas. Beads can be made from any material such as paper, clay, lampwork or seedbeads. Or anything else I may have excluded.....Its all about the beads!

2. Post your creation on our flickr group.

The purpose of this challenge is to find inspiration and to then inspire others by what you have made.

No comments: