Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!

Happy fourth everyone! For many of us, today is a day of parades, picnics and fireworks all in celebration of our nations independence! When I was growing up our Fourth of July weekend began with a weekend garage sale, trips up to the Town Hall for the festivities,  parade watching on the fourth (I actually was in many of the parades for one thing or another) and then a family picnic. These are some of my fondest memories since we generally gathered at our home because of our big backyard and pool.

Our picnics had the typical foods but what was really special were the desserts my mother made. Yesterday when I was cooking for our picnic with the neighbors, I came across a recipe my mom had written out for me years ago called, Our Delight. I must have asked her for this recipe for a dessert contest I must have been in since the post script said, "I'm sure this will take first place". So, yesterday I made this dessert and it was a hit with everyone......including the neighbor who claimed to not be a dessert person!


Here is the recipe. I hope you'll try it out.......it was wonderful! I had it for breakfast this morning :)

Our Delight
Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter- melted

Filling:
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
4 oz cream cheese- room temp.
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar

2 3/3/4 oz boxes of instant vanilla pudding
21/4 cups milk
2 bananas - sliced
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flaked coconut (I didn't use this since I forgot to get it when I was at the store)

For crust:
Preheat oven to 350
Combine flour, pecans and butter
Pat down into 9x13 baking dish & bake until light brown- 20-25 minutes
Let cool completely
For Filling:
Beat 11/4 cup cream with cream cheese and sugar until thoroughly blended (kinda like soft peaks)
Spread over cooled crust and chill
Mix pudding packets with milk until thickened.
Spread over cream cheese mixture & chill
Thinly slice banananas and arrange in a single layer over pudding
Whip more cream and spread over bananas ...sprinkle with coconut
Chill & serve!


No comments: