Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Featured Artist~ Deb Batten of Firebird Flamework

Each month I try to spotlight a fellow artist whos work has interested me. I find it fasinating to learn about each individuals journey with glass and finding the connections we share. So this month I'd like to introduce you to Deb of Firebird Flamework. I "met" Deb on a team webjam and loved her style. After reading her interview, I hope you will visit her etsy shop and say Hello!!

How long have you been working with glass? I had been looking for some nice quality beads to use in jewelry and could find nothing in New Zealand. After spending about 5 minutes on ebay, I was absolutely amazed at the stunning array of artisan lampwork beads. Still not fully comprehending that these were made by individuals in their home studios, I purchased a simple set of black and white beads. The arrival of that set was a revelation. I couldn't believe the quality, detail and uniqueness of these wee gems from across the ocean. Quite simply, I was hooked. I emailed the vendor saying so and she suggested I try it myself and gave me a few pointers. The rest as they say is history!

Who or what has influenced your work? I don't feel there is any singular person or thing that influences my work, aside from nature itself. But, there are many artists I admire hugely. I started out wanting to make bold bright beads but very quickly got drawn into creating the illusion of movement in glass and the wonder of color reations. Often I feel extremely challenged as I will sit down to play with bright colors and attempt to make structured designs but I almost get taken over by the glass and what IT wants to do. If I stop to think about it I'd have to say the the beads I find myself consistently drawn to would be those that come out of the Seraphim Flameworks Studio. They have such a timeless quality and wonderful sense of movement to them.

What has been your biggest challenge? The distance between me and the availability of materials or classes. For me, learning without acually seeing someone give a demonstration is quite difficult. To counteract this I have worked through many tutorials found online.

What do you hope to learn next? Oh, dear. This is a tough one as there is so very much to learn. I really am a technique junkie at heart. I love learning something then putting my own twist on it. I think that the best thing I could do for myself would be to take some classes with one of the many artists I admire thereby refining certain techniques and perhaps finding my own voice in this wonderful medium.

Please visit Deb on etsy at www.firebirdflamwork.etsy.com

4 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Woooohooooo! Deb, congratulations! Great interview!

Deb said...

Thank you so much for this Linda. What a wonderful idea - I'm extremely flattered that you chose me to spotlight, this time, from amongst all the outstanding talent out there :o)
I think, upon looking your beautiful beads, you may just have inspired me to have another attempt at the wonderful bright & bold styles I admire, but seem to find so challenging ;o) Deb x

marcy said...

I sure enjoyed reading about Deb. Lovely interview.
Marcy

Unknown said...

found you thru Deb...
love the sharing..
great blog..
all our love
mona & the girls